Home Is...

This was something I posted on social media back about a month ago.  I want to keep it because I do feel it in my heart of hearts and wanted to share in the blog world.  




When I graduated college, I was so thrilled and invigorated by the thought and ability to travel for performing jobs. And I did-for years. My permanent address was my parents and I drove to every gig-from Wisconsin to Florida to Delaware and everywhere in between, in my trusty red Honda, Rhonda. Each travel adventure was more exciting than the last and each gig I was at, I would start to feel at home. I thought this feeling was mostly because I would be there for months on end and because of that, often made lasting friendships. I loved it and even after I moved to New York City, I still continued to travel and perform. But even in NYC, I found little places in the city that I wouldn’t have to fight for space or attention. The health food store my boyfriend and new friends worked at. The apartment I shared with my best friend. The fitness studio my friend taught at and let me take classes there for free. They were all small places in this big city that I felt at home, appreciated and safe.

And now, looking back at it all, Ive realized what those pockets of comfort and feeling of safety really were-and why after all this time, I still yearn to travel and work away from home. It’s not the idea of getting away, it’s not having to leave responsibilities, it’s not seeing another state-it’s yet another way to gain another home.

Some say, Home is where the heart is, but really, my heart lies in so many places. For one, my forever home is now in Los Angeles with my husband and pup. But more than that, there something so cozy and familiar about creating a home outside of home. And Big Fork-you’ve done that for me in less than two weeks.

Going somewhere new always comes with a certain amount of stress, but within the first day of rehearsal here, I felt at home. In the rehearsal space, with my cast, at the theatre and even my ever so wood paneled housing. When I caught myself on the phone saying “I’m heading home” to my husband last week, I knew that this was another one to add to the list.

So maybe, in a small way, that’s what life is for a lot of us in the performing world-just finding another version of home everywhere we go. In the spaces we habit, the smiles we share with each other and the world in which we create together.

Thank you Big Fork Summer Playhouse and Brach Thompson for taking a chance on a Montana newbie and thank you to my Totally Radical 80s Revue team for being such rock stars at every rehearsal. Though I’ve steered my career in a very exciting shift in the last few years, maybe, just maybe, the word Home means even more to me now than it did years ago. Because now, it’s not how much time I spend somewhere. Home means a place that I feel comfortable and excited to create with those around me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Behind...

I'm Italian...I swear...

Um...