2012...Where Do You Start?

So, I'm going to admit to something...  


This was not my first attempt to start a blog for the new year.  


...Actually, this is my fifth try...


Which is odd for me, to say the least.  I'm used to getting an idea (whether it is for the stage, for my website, for my blog or for my life) and pretty much running with it.  Now, I will be honest.  Five months ago, I somehow believed that I could, and moreover, would, post a picture everyday.  Although there was a certain novelty in this brilliant idea--letting my friends and family see what I've been up to, making myself unwind with creative non fictional writing, so on and so forth--it just wasn't feasible because, let's face it, when I did have the time, I was so exhausted that even the thought of looking at the computer disgusted me.


And thus, I obviously backed away into a corner with my tail between my legs, accepting the defeat that I did not, and will not be posting a picture everyday nor blogging everyday.  The task is too daunting and soon felt like a chore, instead of a pleasure.


Anyhoo.  Life goes on.


And therefore, here I am for the fifth time trying to figure out what my first blog of 2012 will be about.  My holidays, my life, updates, and so forth?  


Or just boring ramblings such as this?


Well, as for the 12th day in the new year (which, by the way, two months from TODAY, I will be 26 years old...ummmmm...what?!) I have decided to make this entry about what every blogger in America makes their new year blog about...


Resolutions.  


Before you roll your eyes, click on a different page, or close your laptop all together, I have made the executive decision to make this a different word, to me, in the new year.  


No more will it be considered Resolutions to me.  Making new year resolutions are never kept, let's be real. We set ourselves these ridiculous fixed purposes on unattainable timelines.  We say that we'll loose 20 pounds by the end of the month.  We will stop smoking cold turkey January 2nd.  So on and so forth. 


But what about making goals?  Goals, by the dictionary definition, means "the result or achievement toward which effort is directed or aimed" (Dictionary.com).  A goal, rather, is something we strive for achievement but we don't have to set a deadline.  A goal, is a positive aim for something attainable.  


So, therefore, I will have decided the goals of which I am aiming for in the year 2012.  Maybe you'll think I'm crazy for them or maybe you'll think twice about it and start applying it to your own life.  Either way, read on and enjoy.  :)    


Appreciate What I Have Instead of Focusing What I Don't


When I state this goal, I personally can't think of anything but my weight.  Now, as a general rule, this goal can go for most human beings.  Let's be honest--how often have we said, "I don't have", "I wish I had", "If only I had"... yadda yadda yadda.


And I have to say that in 2011, I said it constantly, out loud and to myself, about my weight in relation to other (especially dancer) girls.  But 2012, I would like to look at my body everyday and say, "I'm beautiful", because you know what?  


I am beautiful.


I'm in shape.  I have all of my limbs.  I'm a dancer and have a fantastic career.  So, instead of looking with jealously at another girls flatter top half, I should look at my own and know that I can fill out a sexy plugging dress.  Instead of looking at a girl who may naturally have sculpted arms, I can focus on eating right, working out and knowing that genetics are genetics.  I can be healthy and happy--and even weigh the same amount as the girl next to me--but not naturally have a certain sculpt to whatever it is that I compare to another girl.


And that's ok.  


Will I continue to look at other girls and envy their bodies for things I don't have?  Of course.  But I can make the conscious goal to make their features a positive on myself, rather than a negative.


Stop Complaining.  Just STOP.


I once heard, "If you want to hear an actor complain, give them a job." 


In general, actors (of ANY kind) can often be the first to complain.  And then, one day recently, I thought to myself, "You have a great job that other people would kill for.  You get paid every week for what you love.  You are working.  So, why are you complaining?"


I was complaining because I could.  Because it created conversation at times.  Because it seemed like the right thing to do when others complained.


But really...why?  There is no reason.  And let's be real--I have been really freaking lucky to work in the business since I graduated college (and even while I was in college), I have an amazing boyfriend who I am equally crazy about him as he is me, I have a roof over my head, and I have an apartment (a home, rather) to go back to New York City every time I finish a job.


So, really, just stop complaining because, at the end of the day, what the f*ck is that going to achieve at the end of the day?


Accept That Other People Have Other Lives


As a part of growing up, you realize how much your life, much less the lives others you grew up with, change, flourish, and evolve.


But when a friend who was a huge part of your life changes his/hers (ie getting married and/or pregnant before you, buying a house) so drastically that you can't help but feel excited yet hurt that his/her priorities have changed, I have realized that this year I need to know that my priorities have changed (and will continue to change) too.  


That doesn't demean or belittle the friendship that you had in the past.  That doesn't mean that you can love each other now.  But it does mean that things between you may change and that, too, is ok.


Stop Caring About People Who Don't Care About Me


Plain and simple.  I remember one day recently, I had tears streaming down my face because someone I knew had, well, treated me unfairly.  And I called my boyfriend, Matthew, blubbering about how this person had hurt my feelings, how this person treated me unjustly, and so on.  And after he listened patiently to my story, Matt literally said to me, "Adrienne, stop acting like he/she matters.  Because he/she doesn't.  If they don't matter by now, in your life, they never will.  They don't care about you, so don't care about them."


Lightbulb!  To say the least...


Can I be professional?  Yes.  Can I be nice?  Yes.  But can I also not allow people who are of true importance to my life and the way in which I lead it, ruin it?  


The answer is yes.






And as a conclusion to my goals for 2012...it's 2012 and I'm ready for another amazing year.  I have an fantastic boyfriend that I will celebrate a one year anniversary with on February 18th.  I have a roof above me.  I'm making money AND it's doing what I love.  I'm in shape.  I have my health.  I have my family.  I have a clear mind.  


And you know what?


I'm beautiful.


I end with some favorite pictures of 2011.




































Love love,
Adrienne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Behind...

Um...

I'm Italian...I swear...