Cinque Terre: Over 1,000 Stairs and Over 3 miles of Walking Later...

THIS POST WAS FOR MONDAY MAY 16! Enjoy! :D

Cinque Terre.

12 hour day in five fishing villages. Hiking.

And I was the one who wanted to be signed up for this...Oh dear.
Scared Chris and energetic Adrienne wake up Monday morning ready to go! We got on our bus and our tour guide, Douglass, tells us that the bus ride to the first fishing village, Manarola, will take us about two hours to drive to get there. On the way, Douglass tells us that once we would arrive in Manarola village, we will take a train to Cornigulia, the second fishing village. And it's then that he tells us there's 382 steps to get to the restaurant where we will be eating lunch.

Oh yeah, you heard me. 382. STAIRS.

And he also warned us, if we struggle with the stairs, he would advise those to take the train to the third village, instead of the 2 mile, over 1,000 stair hike. Um, WOW.

So, I climbed the stairs and I conquered it. Since I had hurt my ankle weeks ago, I haven't been able to work out very much and I was worried about it and my lack of being in shape due to injury but I made it without fail!

Chris, on the other hand, took just a little bit longer...and at the end of the stairs informed me immediately that she would be taking the train.

We make it to lunch where I have a seafood starter of octopus salad (oh yeah, with suction cups and everything...), scallops, anchoives, and another type of fish and I love it all. We are also served a pesto covered pasta which is molto benne! While on our lunch break, we meet a newlywed couple from Australia and another young married couple from Atlanta, Georgia and we all instantly connect.

Thank God for my new friends because little did I know, we would all keep each other going during the crazy terrain that was before us.
Chris took the train and my four new friends and I make our way for our 2 mile, 1,000 steps hike. I forgot how much I love making new friends AND how much I LOVE hiking. My God.

I wish I could describe the sights that I saw. I wish that a picture could do justice.

But it just can't.

I had so much fun, so much culture, so much...of God and nature. I loved it.

And I'm going back, gosh darn it.

Afterwards, we conquered the hike and the six of us including Chris hung out, enjoyed the indescribable, emotional, and breathtaking views (Yes, I cried a few times.). I mean, wow.

And now I have everyone's info, everyone's facebook, and now new guides for each new place. Next on my list might just be Australia...

God, I love my life.

We made it alive after each special village, each of which have their own story...but you might just have to ask me about those stories in person... :)

Our last day in Florence and tomorrow, Tuscany/Siena.

Ciao bella!

Love love,
Adrienne
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Behind...

Um...

I'm Italian...I swear...