Goodbye Italy...

We got in the cab yesterday morning at nine AM.  We said goodbye to our wonderful Rome hotel, took pictures of bunny leaving, and left.


And as our car passed out of the city walls, while our Italian driver was chattering away in Italian on a million phone calls, while the Italian music thumped in the speakers behind our heads, Chris and I held hands over luggage that sat between us, I stared out of the window, sunglasses over my eyes, and cried.


Goodbye Italy.  Goodbye to the land of:
  • NO judgments on clothing choices
  • Small bites
  • Amazing coffee that I don't need milk for and never use artificial sweetners for
  • Spending two hours over cannoli and espresso
  • Red poppies 
  • Clean air
  • Sexy smoking
  • Not thinking about weight and appearance 
  • Curvy sexy boisterous women
  • Attractive quietly confident men
  • Vespas
  • Fearing for my life and other people's lives in traffic
  • Walking into heavy traffic knowing/trusting everyone will stop 
  • Breathtaking sights
  • Historical sights and ruins, everywhere
  • Feeling constantly beautiful

Chris and I arrived to New York City last night and I was overjoyed to see my roommate, my apartment, and finally got to feel my boyfriend's arms around me.  I know I am home and as I instinctively picked up my pace (in my very New York fashion) just to walk to my man's apartment last night, I knew this is where I belong and thrive.  

Even so, though, I slowed my steps down a tad and realized that Italy has forever changed me.  The art, the scenery, the experiences, the people I met, the friends I made, the smells I smelled...everything...has already put me in check again.  Realizing the significance of life.  Of fun.  Of adventure.  Excitement.  Beauty.  Simplicity.  

Thank you Aunt Chris.  

Thank you Italy.

Thank you life.

Ciao bella.  

Love love,
Adrienne 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Behind...

Um...

I'm Italian...I swear...