I Love Free!

Believe it or not, this post is for today, Monday May 23rd! Can you believe it? I'm actually getting somewhat caught up. Uncanny!

So imagine this: A junior suite. A full living room. Two full closets with hangers. A balcony the size of my living room in NYC. A king size bed. A huge bathroom with a sink that's bigger than my kitchen sink at home. A bathtub. And complimentary fruits, teas, coffees, and cookies.

So we got to Rome a day early because, well, we wanted to. Due to this fact, the very nice hotel that we are staying at, La Residenza, (next to the Spanish steps!) offered to put us in the above mentioned junior suite for the same price as the small room we got for the rest of the stay.

Now, when we were showed our princess hotel room for the night, I went around, like I sometimes do, exploring and discovering the place bouncing and squealing at each new room. Chris warned me, however, not to unpack or get comfortable because tomorrow night, in fact, we would have to move to our small room.

Can I just say that it's freaking awesome that we saw the Pope on our first day in Italy?! Because I swear, it's his blessing that's brought us this amazing fortune.

WE GOT TO KEEP THE ROOM!

You heard me. When we returned later this evening and the wonderful hotel conceirge, Vincent, informed us that we could have the room, at the same rate, for the rest of the visit.

Ummm...heck YEAH.

Also, today, after getting our bags up to the fifth floor to our princess suite (I'd like to call it that now) we walked around our neighborhood of Rome, took pictures on the Spanish steps, window shopped, and then decided to take a Rome Free Tour. For whatever reason, the city offers these free tours. Chris and I didn't expect much. To be honest, I expected about the same as "Blue Cave"/"White Cave" man.

But the tour was actually...awesome.

It turned out to be a 2 1/2 hour walking tour (that yes, was completely free) and we saw and learned a lot about Rome in our first day. A great tour guide, Andrea showed us the Patheon, some gorgeous churchs (so unreal...I mean, how do you paint something that I swear was a dome but really isn't?!), and so much more. So impressed. If you're going to Rome-do the free tour. It's worth it. And even if you don't get as great of a tour guide like Andrea that Chris and I had the fortune of getting today, worse case scenario, you'll at least get a glimpse into the city and get your bearings as to where everything is.

After our tour, Chris and I found a small restaurant where we had yet another amazing meal. Artichoke in Roman style which equalled the vegetable being soaked in (duh) olive oil, capers, and mint. Loved it. Then, I had the best lasagna I'd had since I've been in Italy while Chris loved her bucatini pasta (which is like a thicker, almost tastier spaghetti) that had been cooked with tomato, olive oil, and bacon. And to top it off, I, like always, ordered a coffee while Chris and I shared a panne cotta, a cream like custard with strawberry puree on top.

Not to mention, we drank house red wine and had the affections of our two waiters. One of which sang to me as he brought bread and when I commented on loving the singing, he shrugged and said in his thick Italian accent, "You inspire it."

I don't hate that.

And back at home, in our junior suite we are!

I'm going to part this post with a quote I just found from Six Feet Under, my favorite show of all time. I think it's fitting for my trip to Italy...maybe even just my life now and what I want in the future:
 
"I think people live on through the people they love and the things they do with their lives … if they manage to do things with their lives."- Brenda
I think I'm doing pretty awesome things right now and I'll continue to do those awesome things until my last day.  And, therefore, I'll live forever. 

Ciao ciao ciao. :)

Love love,
Adrienne

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Behind...

Um...

I'm Italian...I swear...