I Remember.


For today's photo I decided to share something simple and pure.  Beautiful and serene.  Something that reminded me of how beautiful the world is and how freaking lucky I am to be a part of it.

I remember 9/11.  15 years old.  Maryville High School.  On my way to algebra class when my girlfriend Jessica pulled me over and told me the news.  So shocking and unreal at the moment to receive such news in such a way.

I remember 9/11.  Algebra class and my teacher saying something snide like, "People die everyday but algebra still goes on."  And every teacher I had happened to have that day didn't let their classes watch the news.  And so, ignorant and young, I remember having to wait until I got home after dance class to watch the history.  Watch people's lives crumble.  Watch people loose those most precious to them.

"Thinking of you babe."  A text I received from my boyfriend today.  He thought of me today and just those simple words on a cell phone made my day.  Made me smile.  He was thinking of me and he wanted to tell me.  How could that not make me smile?

And yet, I can imagine that these people think of their parents, children, siblings, cousins, friends, lovers, boyfriends, girlfriends who passed in the 9/11 attacks ten years ago...every single day.  And because of someone's hatred, they will never get to send them a text or a HeyTell, a facebook message or an e-card, telling them at that moment, that they are thinking of them.

I remember.  I send my heart to those who perished and those left behind.  Those who fought to save others and fell in defeat and those who fought and survived.  Those New Yorkers who were there that day and are forever changed.  

I remember.  For America.  

I remember.  A huge part of history and of my childhood that will forever shape us.  10 years later and here I am.  Here, I consider New York my home.

I remember.  

Tell those you love that you love them.  Tell those you are thinking of that you are thinking of them.  And tell the world that you are thankful to be in it.  

Because, my God, I sure am.

Love love,
Adrienne

Comments

  1. I am so moved by a project call 9/11 Voices. There were many in the towers when realizing they were not going to escape the smoke and fire edging toward them, picked up a phone and made that one last call. To wife, to best friend, to child, to Mom, to Dad. Often they reached no one, but left a calm quiet message of love. Who would I call... who would call me...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Behind...

Um...

I'm Italian...I swear...